Emissions and Energy Efficiency
Reducing our Rail Carbon Footprint
Over the years, the pursuit of efficiency has been the hallmark of our success. With Precision Railroading, fuel efficient locomotives, leading edge technology and numerous other programs, we achieved a fuel and carbon efficiency improvement of 35% over the past 20 years.
- Using fewer rail cars and locomotives to ship more freight
- Promoting fuel conservation practices
- Driving efficiency across the supply chain
- Deploying leading edge technologies
- Operating through efficient routing protocols
- Optimizing yard performance
- Upgrading our locomotive fleet
Reducing Our Non-Rail Carbon Footprint
Building on our industry leading rail fuel efficiency programs, we continue to extend the same efficiency mindset to our non-rail fleet including our intermodal equipment and trucking fleet, On Company Service (OCS) vehicles and our Great Lakes shipping vessels. Together, they represent 8% of our total carbon footprint.
Improving Efficiency at Our Building and Yards
Our buildings and yards account for approximately 7% of our GHG emissions, comprising electricity, natural gas and miscellaneous fuel consumption. We are committed to improving the use of energy in our existing buildings and yards, while integrating more sustainable designs into new buildings.