Safety starts with you…
Riding a snowmobile or ATV can be an amazing outdoor experience. It can also be fatal — in the wrong hands. Here are some tips for riding safe.
- Cross only at designated locations (it is illegal and dangerous to trespass on railway property).
- Ride on approved trails only (look for signs about approaching a railway crossing).
- Expect a train on any track, in either direction, at any time.
- Be especially cautious at night or in snowy conditions (both make it difficult to see obstacles, passing trains or railway crossings).
- Stop at railway crossings to ensure you don't ride in front of or into the side of a passing train.
- Contact the railway (using the emergency number prominently posted at crossings) or call 911 immediately if your ATV or snowmobile gets stuck on a track or railway line (a train can come at any time).
- Keep in mind that helmets, engines, wind and weather may muffle the sound of an approaching train.
- Do not ride next to the tracks (locomotives and railway cars are wider than the rails, leaving little or no room for you).